Tuesday, June 7, 2016

I'm A Big Kid Now

Babies grow up so fast!

It’s been a while since I had written anything to the Dad Chronicles because of routine yard work in the Dub Shack and the usual getting pulled in a thousand different directions, but I found a little bit of time to scratch out and share updates with the little CA.

After I wrote 1YL, I was happy to leave it alone and live life as a boring suburban Afro-wearing dad with a gorgeous wife and the world’s cutest toddler yet the writing bug kept nagging at me. In the midst of all of the beauty I live around, Caeli is learning how to walk!
Clearly I won at life:  Gorgeous wife, beautiful daughter

Thank God Chastity and I have mostly baby-proofed the house although there is that landline cord that looks a bit attractive to fifteen month old eyes.

More about our big kid:  As of today, the walk is really a quick few steps of running from our outstretched arms to a hug from the parent who catches her before she falls down. Once she gets it down, I know I am going to have to change at least one doorknob so she doesn’t get trapped in the coat closet chasing daddy’s basketball or becoming mesmerized by the vacuum cleaner. Even as Caeli crawls, it has that funky step in it that looks like she is going to stand up and become a fulltime walker but not quite there yet. She’ll get it soon; hopefully daddy starts losing weight with her getting into everything around the house, both cars, and throughout the yard.

Trust me, this child is always supervised:  The days of free range play has unfortunately faded in the rearview after my own childhood expired and the way Saline County is developing every piece of land, that memory of going outside to play for hours at a time only to return home when the street lights come on are from yesteryear. Who’d think that at the old age of 37, my only child would not get to enjoy exploring the woods or playing down the street with other little girls her age without a reputable adult overseeing her fun, games, social abilities, problem solving skills, and camaraderie with others as I did out in Friendship?

You know, this is the world we live in – we parents have to manage it more closely than our guardians ever imagined they would have to.

In the ten months since Caeli graduated from the NICU to the zoo (as her primary nurse Emily termed the real world), she has progressed by leaps and bounds thanks to continuing prayers; a tight support system consisting of the people we have confided in the most; our friends from Kidsource Rhonda, Amanda, Sara, and Katie; the ability to rearrange our work schedules (thanks, Rineco!) to have the availability for her doctor’s appointments; and a near-photographic memory just like her daddy. In the midst of all of her successes, the lone setback was due to her swallow study from April. We still have to thicken her liquids to a honey consistency, and there is still no way I’ll try giving her Dr. Pepper yet. There will be another swallow study slated for October – I pray she’ll be able to consume foods and drinks without Thick-It as she is currently a silent aspirator.

Just as a reminder, dads don’t babysit their kids. WE RAISE THEM.

Babies do grow up fast, so maintaining the aura of innocence at home in addition to the privacy the family has grown accustomed has to be paramount. It doesn’t mean I won’t share pictures of the family from time to time, but I’d be a fool not to protect my wife and child from judgmental eyes and crass opinions of how to take care of my family.


The next time I blink, Caeli may be in kindergarten. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep your comments civil and clean. If you have to hide behind anonymous or some false identity, then you're part of the problem with comment sections. Grow up and stand up for your words/actions.