Sunday, May 8, 2016

When 2+1=3

No parentheses are necessary for this basic equation. In our case, getting to three isn’t as easy as we would have anticipated.

I know that many of you read Mother’s Day for the Childless Couple two years ago and followed the Dad Chronicles throughout the past year about our daughter Caeli’s time in the NICU along with the many milestones she has reached and surpassed. However, this post is about how my wife has evolved to motherhood and my ever-growing love and appreciation of Chastity. Mother’s Day (it’s still a fairly new concept to us, as we’ve observed Punkin Day until last year throughout our nearly five years of marriage) is that date set aside for all of the moms who hold down the fort through thick and thin.

I’ll share one thing:  Becoming parents wasn’t as easy in our mid-thirties as say, turning on the Link CD or digging through the Gettin’ Laid mixtapes from the ‘90s that have their own file on Spotify today, lighting candles, pouring up the pink Moscato wine, and dropping flower petals down the hall to the boom-boom room. We wish it could’ve been that easy, but the journey for our little one is vastly more cherished than what could have happened on the honeymoon if not sooner.

Making 2+1=3 was not as easy as we (society in general) make it out to be. For us, I want to shout out thanks to God; the staff at Arkansas Fertility Clinic and Freeway Medical for helping us along and keeping Caeli-bug in motion throughout the five months she got to stay inside Chastity; our families, friends, neighbors, and church for their continued prayers; and my high school classmate/friend Dr. Clint Johnson for helping me understand what Clomid and some of the other medicines do to aid along a pregnancy. You know, I owe Clint a beer the next time I see him:  when he’s in central Arkansas, if/when we visit Fayetteville or any other part of northwest Arkansas, or at our twentieth class reunion (Go Wampus Cats!) next year. 

Adding two plus one to equal three was in effect a lot of work.
Shoes, Converse, Baby, Style, Cute

I’m not forgetting the 146 days spent in the NICU at UAMS and Children’s Hospital nor will I fail to remember the multiple visits to the pediatricians, therapies, doctors, and pharmacies to pick up necessities for little Caeli to grow up healthier, stronger, independent, and more beautiful every day.

Oops, I regressed; this is about Chastity. Even I need to be redirected every once in a while.

As loquacious as I can be at times, the words I want to use to show my appreciation for my wife tend to escape me akin to sneaky ten-pound catfish stealing the worm from a waiting rod and reel. It doesn’t mean I don’t value my significantly better half; sometimes words alone won’t get the feeling expressed effectively.

Thank you for carrying Caeli Elise for those five months and the 24/7 dedication to her growth and loving on her the way you do.

14 But Zion said, The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me. 
15 Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee.
- Isaiah 49:14-15

From feeding her solid foods to changing those awful blowout diapers without getting any poop on the sheets and teaching her peek-a-boo, thank you. This also includes finding all of the educational toys and books that we use to help Caeli develop at her pace.

I’m grateful for those nights I am at work when you have to hold down the fort to feed our little superstar that one last bottle and she starts to babble loudly in addition to playing with her toys for the next few hours causing you to forego sleep. Thank you – and there is a reason why I try to let you sleep in on Saturday mornings.

You just amaze me every morning how you’re able to fix yourself a hot cup of coffee, get both of you dressed, showered, and out the door within fifteen minutes during the week with a full diaper bag because it takes quite a bit more time for me to get Caeli ready to ride with daddy in the car and I am known for leaving out more than a few things. 


Thank you for being so supportive of the food and deacons’ ministries, especially now that more and more people see God in how you live and conduct yourself. You don’t have to buy that white dress for Communion Sunday yet, and if/when that day gets here, we’ll make sure the store has a better return policy in case it doesn’t fit as well as you would like it to fit.

You are the heartbeat of our team – none of this is possible without you. I mean, no one else could put up with my idiosyncrasies like you, not even my own mama.

More than that, you make motherhood look damn good.

Two years ago, we began another chapter of our lives when we made two plus one equal three. I love you and am forever indebted to your greatness as not only my wife but also Caeli’s mommy every single day. We no longer celebrate Punkin Day – today is your Mother’s Day!

Happy Mother’s Day, juicy.  



1 comment:

Keep your comments civil and clean. If you have to hide behind anonymous or some false identity, then you're part of the problem with comment sections. Grow up and stand up for your words/actions.