Thursday, February 25, 2016

The Convenience of Ingratitude

On January 28, I traded my wife’s Malibu in for a newer used car with a fraction of the miles – and a piece of factory warranty still remaining. As I drove the Camry around town with my baby daughter in the back seat asleep and the salesman discussing the vehicle, I discovered that I would lose some technology – and that big V6 engine - if we made the deal. For example, Toyota does not offer remote start and this car was the final year that backup cameras were optional as are navigation and satellite radio. Also, our monthly payments would increase nearly eighty dollars from what we were paying on the Chevrolet.
Momma's new ride - 2013 Toyota Camry SE. For some reason, I really like red cars. 

My wife still couldn’t grasp being without a remote starter for those cold winter mornings and hot summer afternoons. God had protected us for the past two years through rain, sleet, snow, and bad drivers along with saving us from having to purchase new low-profile tires that would have certainly blown a hole through our budget. To no longer be able to start the car from the bathroom showed that I had become ungrateful for what was a small thing:  in that instant, I saw how quickly I could become an ingrate to God. The same Father who did not spare His own Son for my salvation had spared my wife and daughter (and friends) in a miraculous fashion!

While I was slightly disappointed in not getting a better deal, I had to consider the price of peace of mind for my wife and daughter every time they got into the car; that peace outweighed losing a few convenience features.



1 comment:

Keep your comments civil and clean. If you have to hide behind anonymous or some false identity, then you're part of the problem with comment sections. Grow up and stand up for your words/actions.