Thursday, February 4, 2016

I'll See You Again

About two weeks ago, one of my younger brothers from childhood passed away due to injuries suffered from an automobile accident at the age of 28. While reading all of the posts via social media about the positive impact Terrance made upon so many lives, I chose to sit back and rewind the memories of him singing in the youth choir; watching him play high school football; having him as a student during that first year as a substitute teacher (as I was working on my certification) and realizing he was wearing the same gray Nautica polo shirt I bought years ago as a high school senior; chuckling with him at his brother’s wedding; keeping up with our lives through Facebook; and so many other moments throughout the years. The separation is tough, yet we share a comfort that we will see him again in eternity.

While life tends to pull people away, God is always near.

We’ve experienced separation from our loved ones:  For example, I accepted a teaching job a decade ago that took me across the country far away from any relatives or friends I may have known prior. A child goes off to school or military service in another state or nation. Our busy lives tend to pull us in every direction with families, jobs, civic and church obligations, and putting out home fires that continuing communication beyond a quick text message or tweet or the occasional Face Time is pushed by the wayside. We have Skype, but we don’t have time for face-to-face interaction anymore. 

We are here, and they are there. Also, let’s not forget the separation of death.

As believers in Christ, we have the promise that we are never alone. Although we ache from the departure of one brother, He has not gone anywhere – He is right here, now, always, and forever. In John 16:20, Jesus told the disciples “Verily, verily, I say unto you, That ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice:  and ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.”  He also promised to never leave nor forsake us in Hebrews 13:5.

The rapper Wiz Khalifa penned this chorus for the Fast and Furious 7 movie soundtrack:  “It's been a long day, without you my friend/And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again/We’ve come a long way from where we began/But I’ll tell you all about it when I see you again.” It is during that separation that Jesus assures us that we will see Him again for He never abandons or forgets His own.





1 comment:

Keep your comments civil and clean. If you have to hide behind anonymous or some false identity, then you're part of the problem with comment sections. Grow up and stand up for your words/actions.