Saturday, June 18, 2022

Stepping Up: Dub Shack BBQ Presents Beef Tenderloin

I scored a wicked awesome good deal on beef tenderloin at the grocery store nearest my job the other day. This is probably one of the few mainstream cuts of beef I had never cooked and considering its normal prices, it would have to be a really special occasion such as Juneteenth or Father's Day.

Here is the story of how it went down and how good it tastes.
INGREDIENTS
One beef tenderloin*
Worcestershire sauce
Fire and Smoke Society's Holy Garlic rub
Fire and Society's Thundering Longhorn rub
*With this cut, some barbecuers prefer the center cut such as this one. If you're blessed to get a whole tenderloin, congratulations; the ends can be used for stir fry, amongst other things if the need to square them off arises. 
STEP ONE. Remove the beef tenderloin from its packaging and trim off the silver skin. Slather on the Worcestershire sauce all over it after which apply the Holy Garlic and Thundering Longhorn rubs liberally. Once completed, go outside and light the grill to 250 degrees.

STEP TWO. Once the grill reaches optimal cooking temperature, set the tenderloin indirectly from the coals and let it work. Since this is a premium cut (to me), it is critically important that I don't mess this up by overcooking it. I know there are some of you who like eating well-done steaks and you deserve chicken and cheeseburgers instead but this is neither the time nor the place for mistakes with my hard-earned money. The way your tenderloin is placed on the grill is how it cooks so be aware of that factoid.

STEP THREE. Beef tenderloin is finished at 130 degrees (medium rare). I know stopping at 122 (rare) is ideal and I'm not that brave to do blue rare anything; once this one hit 130, I pulled it off the grill and let it rest for about twenty minutes before slicing. For my small family, I could have given them 1/2 lb steaks but for this exercise, I chose to make them a bit thinner to enjoy with side items or the eventual sandwich. Steakums ain't got nothing on Dub Shack BBQ!

When I say do this, DO. THIS. It took about 90 minutes on my PK from start to finish and since I was also smoking cream cheese, I tended to keep a bit of an eagle eye on this protein during that process. Enjoy the holiday weekend and although we dads have to cook our own dinner (Mom got feted last month), it is another day to eat great barbecue. Be blessed, be safe, and be good to each other and most of all, tell everyone that every day is a GREAT day for Dub Shack BBQ! 
IYKYK



No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep your comments civil and clean. If you have to hide behind anonymous or some false identity, then you're part of the problem with comment sections. Grow up and stand up for your words/actions.