Sunday, May 15, 2022

Rub a Dub Dub Shack BBQ Reviews Barbecue Rubs

One thing that I haven't done much of in the past couple of years is make my own barbecue rubs as I would much rather create my own sauces. Beyond a couple of perennial favorites such as Killer Hogs' The BBQ Rub and Meat Church's Holy Cow rub, I chose to cook 2022 only committing to the local stuff from Fire and Smoke Society. (Well, there is that brisket rub I bought at Buc-ees back in March. For this exercise, let's keep it 501 for everyone in central Arkansas). 

I bought all nine* rubs at Walmart, and this is barely scratching the surface. Let's get it on!
*Since the original posting, I've added Chica Licka Bam Bam and Black and Tan 
From top, left to right: Wing Magic, Holy Garlic. Center: Thundering Longhorn, Sweet Preacher, Sweet Peeper. Bottom: Fish Monger, Potato Slayer, The Usual, Pork Perfect.
Wing Magic
Used on wings, whole chickens, leg quarters, breasts
My thoughts: Good. It's one of the only two rubs I bought twice. It (and Holy Garlic) are the least expensive bottles you can get at Walmart at $4.97; the other bottles are $6.98 each. There is a hint of lime to balance the smokiness of the paprika and I feel that it really shines in a salad or alongside fajitas. 
Holy Garlic
Used on tuna, chicken breasts
My thoughts: This is the only other rub I bought twice. It works incredibly well as a blackening agent when combined with another rub but it stands on its own as long as you know who else is going to eat with you that particular day. 
Thundering Longhorn
Used on beef ribs, steaks, eye of round 
My thoughts: Such a no-brainer when it comes to cooking beef. This was supposed to be my default brisket rub - hey, I'm an Arkansan, I need a little more than kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper on my 12-15 lb packers. Very versatile; if I had to only have one beef rub, this would be it. 
Sweet Preacher
Used on pork butts and shoulders, pork loins
My thoughts: This is what one thinks of when it comes to Southern barbecue. It is Fire and Smoke's best-selling rub, and I can definitely agree with the statement. It made an awesome crust on the pork loin I smoked for Easter (recipe is on AD&AD) and sometime this summer, it'll be the featured product when I do pork belly burnt ends again as a redemption project. 
Sweet Peeper
Used on turkey
My thoughts: I know I used it on turkey but try it on anything that flies - and of course, chicken. The honey flavor profile is sweet but not too sweet and makes for an amazing presentation. 
Fish Monger
Used on salmon, tuna, red snapper 
My thoughts: I recently grilled blackened sushi (again, recipe on AD&AD) with this rub and Holy Garlic. For those who like Mediterranean flavors in foods, Fish Monger is the ticket! Great for those on keto as well as those who want a tasty alternative to the usual heavy rubs. 
Potato Slayer
Used on all potatoes: baked potatoes, fries, hash browns, tater tots, and even sweet potatoes
My thoughts: As a fan of the spud in all forms, Potato Slayer is possibly the rub I use most frequently. Adds a boost of flavor to the sides. 
The Usual
Used on hamburgers, meatballs, lamb, pork chops
My thoughts: Works well as a complimentary rub not so much as the only rub on larger meats such as lamb ribs. In other words, it is Pippen to the Jordan that Holy Cow pictured above has become: Great as a teammate, but as the man, taken a peg down to very good. 
Pork Perfect
Used on smoked bologna, pork ribs, pork chops
My thoughts: The crust Pork Perfect made on smoked bologna was unreal, and if you haven't read the post from February yet, it makes a poor man's charcuterie board one to remember. 
Black and Tan
Used on thicker steaks, briskets, and potentially prime rib
My thoughts: This is the brisket rub I use regularly - and heck, if you mess with most parts of the cow, the rub of choice. It almost negates having Holy Garlic around - if anyone wants the bottle, holla at your friendly pitmaster.
Chica Licka Bam Bam
Used on wings and in jambalaya
My thoughts: This rub is for the barbecuer who has to have the tastes of south Louisiana in his/her mouths, beignets not included. If you're not careful, the spiciness gets intense quick!

Overall: For the five or six dollars per rub, I think you'll do well in comparison to paying for the higher-end brands or even the homemade family secrets we tuck under our Bible toting arms. They are here to enhance the meat not define it. All nine bottles have a purpose just as both grills and the smoker are assigned to specific cooks but not always confined to each machine, as evidenced by the pork butt smoked on the PK that did not require refueling. I still haven't tried a proper long cook on the Kettle and as I come up with a great summer recipe, it will find itself in experimental testing and tasting mode which the neighbors are already appreciative of. 

Thanks for reading this post. Although I am not a paid reviewer of Fire and Smoke Society - the company has numerous barbecue rubs that I don't have the room for on my side of the spice cabinet, I suggest that you try one.

(This is an addiction that pays off in the end)

Be blessed, be safe, be good to each other, and tell everyone that every day is a GREAT day for Dub Shack BBQ! 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep your comments civil and clean. If you have to hide behind anonymous or some false identity, then you're part of the problem with comment sections. Grow up and stand up for your words/actions.