Tuesday, July 21, 2015

What The Future Holds

Over the past five-and-a-half months, I’ve had a steady stream of thoughts and insights pertaining to the Dad Chronicles and our journey into parenthood. Now that we have Caeli home with us, I am spent in nearly every way possible yet excited for the next steps in our adventure. As I sit in my office hoping that I do not have to pick up the walkie-talkie to answer relatively redundant questions, I reflect on life in the NICU.

Where do we go? What do we do? What does the future hold?

Fortunately for us, we have some world-class people only one phone call away to help with anything pertaining to baby bear’s health. However, I am unable to keep them on payroll at my house – at their rates, it wouldn’t be a good idea to do so, but pediatrics and neonatal care are their strengths, just as I excel with the written word and simplifying technical processes into bite-size pieces to digest. I think I could’ve done more to be prepared for this day, yet no one is truly 100 percent ready to make steps into an unknown world.

This is where I must dig deeper into my faith.

It was easy when I had something to battle daily, but how do I handle the prosperity of a healthy daughter? God knows the answer; surely He will manifest it to me in due time. I’ve constantly blogged about our days, nights, weeks, and months as a therapy, but what happens when the Dad Chronicles are completed and no one is interested in the life story anymore? Will my wife and I be able to return to relative anonymity as new parents, or is this an omen of something greater we are both called to do?

One thing I definitely do know is I do not want to miss Caeli growing up. I need to find a day job that pays our bills well enough; I am not looking to become a one-percenter after struggling for so long overnight although I’ll accept the role if I can keep an active presence in her life.

What do I mean?

I’ve worked almost constantly for the past twenty years in okay situations (for the time) and dead-end roles, and for most of that time, it has been evenings or the graveyard shift. I’d like to become the father I had as a kid who always had time for his progeny (Thanks, Dad!) even if the money didn’t fall out of the sky when I wanted stuff. Looking back on it, those Air Jordan V sneakers fell apart within one year of finally getting a pair. Maybe he was on to something there.

Maybe not to the extent that Chastity will miss interacting with the nurses at UAMS and ACH daily, but they’ve all grown to become extended members of the C. Armstrong family. I’ll definitely miss them. Can I fit them all in the backyard for a late-summer cookout? I do not know, but I bet it would be some kind of fun to see all of you and them in the Dub.

The future does hold the usual fistful of pediatric care for our blessing as well as all of the memories to be made with her. In addition to teaching her about all things Reddie, introducing her to great R&B music from Blackstreet and other groups, and seeing her achieve milestone after milestone at her pace, Caeli is afforded a privilege that people seemingly dismiss:  a God-fearing two-parent home in the suburbs with a great school nearby and better neighbors. Will every day be perfect? No, but we make the best of any situation we face.

Thanks to all of you for supporting us all of the way through our pregnancy and early entrance to parenthood with your thoughts, wishes, encouraging words, prayers, gift cards, meals, helping hands, and so forth. Certainly I’d love to name all of you in this section, but I’d mess around and miss someone so it is best I do not omit anyone. You know who you are.

God bless, I’m out.


#CAELISTRONG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep your comments civil and clean. If you have to hide behind anonymous or some false identity, then you're part of the problem with comment sections. Grow up and stand up for your words/actions.