Tuesday, April 14, 2015

When The Poop Hits The Fan

It happens to all of us whether or not we wish to admit it. For me, it was my father's discovery of prostate cancer last year and the premature birth of my daughter in February. Both times, I've had difficulty focusing on what needed to get done. As much as I'd like to have the time off to help Dad get through chemo or stay in the NICU until Caeli can come home, doing so means that my source of income would have dried up quickly because I am an employee (currently) who relies on a steady paycheck. Putting on my "big boy" pants and making sure the show goes on should have indicated to my supervisor and boss that through the fire, I am reliable and able to endure in the rough times.

With Caeli's birth - the only time I've missed work - my priorities are now in an upheaval, as her stay in the NICU has been a roller coaster. For my sake, Rineco has been a surprising source of therapy. Many nights I have dead time to write or think - in the control room, my early morning activities are limited to research and cleaning, in a nutshell AND for a few hours. Here's how I've survived the smell.

Get organized. From 6:45 pm to 7:10 the following morning, I know that I am some one's peon. As a result, I have created a system that works for me and a rough schedule of how my night works. For example:

  • After clocking in around 6:45 pm and walking upstairs, I typically get debriefed by the daytime counterpart and note any restrictions plus ask pertinent questions.
  • 7 pm:  I pray for a safe and productive night. Since my faith is a hallmark of who I am, I often recite Philippians 4:13 after said prayer and print paperwork for the fuel tanks. 
  • From 7:10 to 7:35, I review the attendance and tanker logs, update software as necessary. At night, my extension is also the call-in line.One prime advantage in the role is that I work without any supervision; if I need to either cram in or stretch out tasks, it is possible.
  • Around 7:40, I send work-related emails to the guard on duty and senior management.
  • At 7:45, I flash the production workbook for weight/drum updates. I do it every thirty minutes simply to stay abreast of each crew's progress. By creating and adhering to a basic schedule, I am able to mentally check off the list. I also have an end-of-shift checklist that is pretty similar to this one. 
Take breaks. Just because you're at work doesn't mean to drown yourself in solely work tasks. Since I toil alone, taking breaks is easier than it would be in an otherwise busy office. I can stretch, walk from one end to the other, surf the Internet in small doses, and even rock out to the tunes on the radio! Knowing a break is near has become an adrenaline rush to complete tasks in a timely manner, but if I do not finish, it can wait. Not only is management evaluating your performance, but your co-workers will thank you for keeping the ship sailing along smoothly,

Confide in someone. Honestly, I have had issues with this stemming from broken trust in the past. With Dad's cancer, I quietly took a day off as a result of knowing when his surgery and appointments were scheduled. However, Ryan (my boss) and Jacob (co-worker) both received emails and phone calls concerning Caeli so they are both aware of my situation and trust that I am able to continue fulfilling my duties.

The poop will hit the fan sooner or later. Disagree? Don't believe me, just watch. Working through major sickness of a parent and a child can endear respect from others as long as your work performance does not dramatically fall. Regardless of your situation, your good health matters more than any dollar; what good are you going to be if you're unable to continue? Eat three meals, sleep eight hours, and find some me-time to serve as a break from work and personal stresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep your comments civil and clean. If you have to hide behind anonymous or some false identity, then you're part of the problem with comment sections. Grow up and stand up for your words/actions.