Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The Long Road Back

Two years ago, I suffered burnout from overworking myself. I went from being passionate about my students to staring at the clock awaiting 3:10 pm every afternoon; at my second job, overachiever to brutally nonchalant as a result of setting the bar so high. When I stare at the revolving door, the signs are repeating themselves - and this time, I am wise enough to begin planning my exit from what seems to be another dead end. What am I great (not good) at? Will I be able to keep providing for my family at the current level we are living, if not better? Could I remain with one outfit for the next few decades? Is real advancement possible? Wherever I end up next, I sincerely hope it is better than where I have been. 

True enough, my ideal career is technical writer except the openings are far and few in this area. Give me a Monday through Friday workweek with daytime hours and at least average starting salary, and I'll be OK. More than anything else, I must acclimate to life among the living, or normal people, as I've termed them. Confession: Over the nearly twenty years I have spent on the time clock, only ten months of it has been during day hours excluding the eight years in education as I maintained a second job. Crazy? A bit ignorant now that I reflect on those times, but bills had to be paid.

For me, here is the road back. Each proverbial mile marker is another sign of getting to my destination:

  1. Prayer. Without the Word from God and accompanying relationship, the pursuit is all for naught and perpetual unhappiness.
  2. Fit. Most companies want a circle for a circle peg. If you're a square, you won't ever fit the culture regardless of knowledge and industry experience.
  3. Patience. Expect more "nos" than "yeses". Don't let the criticisms get you down.
  4. Talking to the right people. It's hard for me to talk to people since I am notoriously introverted, but no one can read our minds. Open up your mouth; it can open doors.
  5. Update your resume. It's one thing to list every position ever worked, and another to provide a linear path of progression. By doing the latter, prospective employers know you're serious. It wouldn't hurt to update your LinkedIn and Monster profiles. 
  6. Take the right offer, not the first. This is your career, so you always have the option of saying no.
At the current moment, I am embarking on my road back. Will it be smooth? Nope. It's my road, so only I can walk its path. Eventually, I'll be back, and if not, it's well worth the effort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep your comments civil and clean. If you have to hide behind anonymous or some false identity, then you're part of the problem with comment sections. Grow up and stand up for your words/actions.