Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Day 2013 Thoughts & Tribute

father (fah ther) - a male parent; progenitor; a person who originates or establishes something' paternal protector or provider; a man who exercises paternal care over others

Every third Sunday in June, we celebrate our fathers by giving them their own day - and honoring the man we call dad, pop, daddy, father, paw, pa, pappy, etc. in our own unique ways. Traditionally, dads usually receive a myriad of gifts such as neckties, another hammer, grillmaster apron, a free trip to a random Sunday buffet, new electronics, and so forth as a small token of thanks to the man who is one-half of how we got here and who we inevitably become. As fathers, these men are more often than not overlooked by our culture as little more than modern-day buffoons if not sports-crazed workaholics who seem to constantly bark commands to the progeny of which we know is nothing further from the truth. While they would like to spend some time watching the US Open, NASCAR, the NBA Finals, what our fathers would definitely prefer is to be loved and appreciated. Without the male seeds, how can the world properly function?

Since I don't have my own physical children (yet), I simply sit remember the lessons my dad taught and entrusted me in the event that I do get to be the first role model for a child. From seeing him in the mornings, I know it was hard work! The blessing is twofold: by being there, we not only saw the man every single day and night, but also picked up some great memories. When we were in Scouts, dad would come home worn out from a hard day's work to help us make some of the most aerodynamic Pinewood Derby cars in the history of our pack just from showing him a picture of the car from either a poster or Hot Wheels toy, and two or three weeks later, we would crush the competition. If that's not legendary, then I don't know what is. 

Thank you to my own father, Mr. Kenneth R. Armstrong for everything I've learned over the past 34 1/2 years and all of the memories - and forcing me to grow up the rest of the way. Now that you're a grandfather to Aston, let's see how Alan passes those lessons to Aston. One day, I'll get my crack at it.

Thanks to my brother K. Alan Armstrong for taking care of my nephew. What was a sibling rivalry is now a complementary thing; if Astro even gets half of the memories we did growing up, he's had a heckuva childhood. It's not so much #weallwegot now, but more of being dad (and in my case, uncle). Keep up the super work.

Thanks to my male cousins who are raising kids in their unique situations as married men, single fathers, and even post-divorce. Keep holding down manhood.

Thanks to my bonded brothers for sharing some of their kids' moments with me; as a friend, I'm eternally grateful for that. Your styles may eventually shape how I raise my future ones. 

Thanks to my former students who sometimes looked at me as a role model. I know Mr. Armstrong got on your last nerves, but after being out of the classroom the past year, I do appreciate the relationships we were able to cultivate in addition to being your (favorite) English teacher. 

Thanks to my nephews Joshua and DeShawn for proving that I can do this. I want you both to keep pushing and become real men in a cold, cold world. If there is anything your uncle can do short of spending a boatload of cash, you know I'm there. Period. Of course, turning pro would be a huge help though I'd rather send you out there as balanced, quality men.

Thanks to all of the men I missed, the truly unsung brothers out there. The guys locked up in jail cells, the brothers who have to work extended distances from home, the men who are unable to cherish their babies due to child support issues not limited to visitation rights, the ones we see in Sunday best in our churches, etc. you are appreciated. As I misquote 2Pac, you're appreciated even if no one else cares. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep your comments civil and clean. If you have to hide behind anonymous or some false identity, then you're part of the problem with comment sections. Grow up and stand up for your words/actions.